Wednesday, March 7, 2012

define addl space and have EM 'see' it

I need space!!! net admin has given it to me, but em doesn't 'see' it.
Nothing is an actual physical device on the server, its off in network land.
I'm having to manually move my backup folders to the addl space so that my
bkups will run. Its production and I'm worried.
I thought it might be because the space was added while things were still
running, so I downed everything (pwr was going down anyway). But it still
doesn't have it as available for bkups.
And I'd really appreciate a couple of good ref books for enterprise mngt,
tools and all this stuff.
Kelly
What do you mean by it doesn't see it? Do you mean you can't see the mapped
drive letter? If so you should not use mapped drives for SQL Server. Use
the UNC notation instead.
\\Other server\SharedDrive
Also make sure that the account that SQL Server is running under is a domain
account with rights to that share otherwise it can not access it. If SQL
Server is running under the local system account it has no rights off on the
server it is running on.
Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
"Kelly" <Kelly@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1881DC32-39A7-41A3-BDEE-0B0E9DAA50A5@.microsoft.com...
>I need space!!! net admin has given it to me, but em doesn't 'see' it.
> Nothing is an actual physical device on the server, its off in network
> land.
> I'm having to manually move my backup folders to the addl space so that my
> bkups will run. Its production and I'm worried.
> I thought it might be because the space was added while things were still
> running, so I downed everything (pwr was going down anyway). But it still
> doesn't have it as available for bkups.
> And I'd really appreciate a couple of good ref books for enterprise mngt,
> tools and all this stuff.
> --
> Kelly
|||I'm not sure what you mean. The server itself can 'see' the drive (my
computer...) as a drive. em can 'see' the other drives. I check w/network
and sql is using the administrator account. But the new drive is not a
choice when I try to do a backup or set up one w/the wizard.
Since all of our drives don't really live on the physical machine (and I'm
really out in a field here(and its raining :<) cause this is network stuff),
they are all logical devices not something that I can actually go and see,
how would I define this new logical drive to em? It must have happened at
one time, because it can 'see' the other logical drives.
"Andrew J. Kelly" wrote:

> What do you mean by it doesn't see it? Do you mean you can't see the mapped
> drive letter? If so you should not use mapped drives for SQL Server. Use
> the UNC notation instead.
> \\Other server\SharedDrive
>
> Also make sure that the account that SQL Server is running under is a domain
> account with rights to that share otherwise it can not access it. If SQL
> Server is running under the local system account it has no rights off on the
> server it is running on.
> --
> Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
>
> "Kelly" <Kelly@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:1881DC32-39A7-41A3-BDEE-0B0E9DAA50A5@.microsoft.com...
>
>
|||If you are using the Maintenance plan to do your backups then simply type
the UNC path to the new share in the space provided in the wizard. If you
don't know what that is then ask your network people. If they don't know
they shouldn't be your network people<g>. The gui (EM) will not be able to
see the actual mapped drive which you call a Logical drive but if you use
the UNC path it will work.
Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
"Kelly" <Kelly@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:62523077-2B79-4F1E-B5FF-BC6C1F884C8A@.microsoft.com...[vbcol=seagreen]
> I'm not sure what you mean. The server itself can 'see' the drive (my
> computer...) as a drive. em can 'see' the other drives. I check
> w/network
> and sql is using the administrator account. But the new drive is not a
> choice when I try to do a backup or set up one w/the wizard.
> Since all of our drives don't really live on the physical machine (and I'm
> really out in a field here(and its raining :<) cause this is network
> stuff),
> they are all logical devices not something that I can actually go and see,
> how would I define this new logical drive to em? It must have happened at
> one time, because it can 'see' the other logical drives.
> "Andrew J. Kelly" wrote:
|||Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!
It worked! of course the np wanted to know why I wanted to know such a
thing, but I said they could give it to me or they could set up copy jobs to
move things around themselfs. Such fun! I may cause some trouble now.
Any good book to recommend? I need to read up on the things I can do.
Much more fun than app stuff!
Kelly
"Andrew J. Kelly" wrote:

> If you are using the Maintenance plan to do your backups then simply type
> the UNC path to the new share in the space provided in the wizard. If you
> don't know what that is then ask your network people. If they don't know
> they shouldn't be your network people<g>. The gui (EM) will not be able to
> see the actual mapped drive which you call a Logical drive but if you use
> the UNC path it will work.
> --
> Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
>
> "Kelly" <Kelly@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:62523077-2B79-4F1E-B5FF-BC6C1F884C8A@.microsoft.com...
>
>
|||Depends on what subject your really after. A good overall SQL Server book
is "Inside SQL Server 2000" by Kalen Delaney.
Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
"Kelly" <Kelly@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:40D1273C-3D35-4D4C-AA2B-1B198F84BFFC@.microsoft.com...[vbcol=seagreen]
> Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!
> It worked! of course the np wanted to know why I wanted to know such a
> thing, but I said they could give it to me or they could set up copy jobs
> to
> move things around themselfs. Such fun! I may cause some trouble now.
> Any good book to recommend? I need to read up on the things I can do.
> Much more fun than app stuff!
> --
> Kelly
>
> "Andrew J. Kelly" wrote:

No comments:

Post a Comment