Thursday, March 29, 2012

Delete DB Transaction Log file

I have a SQL Server 2000 database that has three transaction log files. I
would like to delete one of the files. I know the file has to be empty
before you can delete it.
Presently the one transaction file that I would like to delete is 400 MB in
size. I have tried several days to shrink the file but no luck. Is there
away to concatenate these files?
Any recommendations on procedures to delete a transaction log file.
Thanks,Use DBCC SHRINKFILE with the Emptyfile option on the file that was created
last. Once that is run and there are no open or active transactions in that
file you can remove it with the alter database command. Then do that for
the second one. You can not remove the primary (the one created first) one.
--
Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
"Joe K." <JoeK@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5E20DA95-B2E2-4E10-95EE-BA09C55AF5B1@.microsoft.com...
> I have a SQL Server 2000 database that has three transaction log files. I
> would like to delete one of the files. I know the file has to be empty
> before you can delete it.
> Presently the one transaction file that I would like to delete is 400 MB
> in
> size. I have tried several days to shrink the file but no luck. Is there
> away to concatenate these files?
> Any recommendations on procedures to delete a transaction log file.
> Thanks,

No comments:

Post a Comment