Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Delete backup from backup device?

I dump my databases to backup devices each night.

However would like to purge old backups - say older than a week - from the device.

Is it a case that I have to drop and re-create the devices every 7 days or can SQL do this for me?

I have seen the RETAINDAYS claus but it applies to tape backups only?

ThanksTake help from database maintenance plan to delete the backups older than x days.

If you go to "Database Maintenance Plans" and follow the wizard for a new maintenance plan, you can set up an automatic backup, that will create full backups that are datetime stamped (on the file name) in the directory of your choosing. You can configure it to delete backups that are older than X weeks as well.sql

No comments:

Post a Comment